By Rebekah C.
Bourbon chicken was first made by a Chinese chef who worked in a restaurant on Bourbon Street, Louisiana. “I have to say, this is one of my favourite recipes for chicken” says Vicky Li. Bourbon chicken is a recipe that you just can’t resist. It can be served over rice and green onions. However, with this delicious sauce, anything will taste good with it. This recipe uses day-to-day ingredients that you most likely have already.
2 lbs Chicken Breasts
1-2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 Garlic Clove
¼ Teaspoon Ginger
¾ Teaspoon Crushed Pepper Flakes
¼ Cup Apple Juice
1/3 Cup light Brown Sugar
2 Tablespoons Ketchup
1 Tablespoon Cider Vinegar
½ Cup Water
1/3 Cup Soy Sauce
- Heat up the oil in a large pan.
- Cut the chicken breasts into smaller pieces and cook until a light brown .
- Remove the chicken and start the sauce.
- Crush the garlic clove and add it to the pan, along with ginger, crushed pepper flakes and the apple juice.
- Stir the ingredients together until they’re well mixed.
- Add brown sugar, ketchup, and cider vinegar.
- The amount of water and soy sauce can be adjusted, depending on the thickness of the sauce.
- Over a medium heat, the ingredients should be mixed and dissolved.
- Add the chicken to the sauce and lower the temperature.
- The chicken should simmer for 20 minutes.
- The chicken can be served over rice or noodles and topped with green onions.